All is about location in Public Transports: stations, lines, customer location, customer destination, train location…
In the near future, we can guess that public transports will continue to grow up as cities continue to expand all other the world with car traffic and pollution issue.
To be successful, public transports have to face many challenges to become more efficient, quicker, safer, greener and smarter.
Innovation such as IoT, IA and Predictive Analytics will contribute to make things easier. Some of the challenges have been listed in the following post SAP Digital Boardroom Improves Public Transport Insights on Repairs, Delays, and More written by Iver Van De Zand, Business Analytics Leader at SAP.
But all is about location in Public Transports: stations, lines, customer location, customer destination, train location, failures, events…
Let’s see how Location Intelligence makes analytics operational.
Maintenance and supervision
Location Intelligence allows to
- Optimize resource planning through spatiotemporal analysis of historical data (Cold data). These location analytics explain what kinds of issues happen where and when, with which impact on traffic or customer service, and so help to define the relevant workforce in each sector
- Allocate workforce to issues according proximity and availability thanks to real time notification of located events
- Analyze number of issues, « work out” and impact on the traffic, delays…
Predictive Location Analytics helps to understand what, when and where are the people needs and to define the offer in term of station, schedule, seats,…:
- Predict the people needs on an area according geographic and socio-demographic data
- Analyze the number of check in/check out at each station for each line to understand frequentation and user behavior
- Analyze fraud
- Analyze traffic top and down,
- Analyze “des temps d’attente”, delays, regularity of train
Public Safety is also a major topic and analytics is a must have to analyze the incidents according gravity, frequency, location, time,… identify hot spots and patterns, and help to allocate the right security resources to the right area at the right time.
- Analyze number of trouble facts par station/line according period, type, …
- Analyze spatio-temporal trends and geographic correlation
At the end of the day, we can see that Safety, Traffic analysis, maintenance…rely on data that are related to a geographic location (station, line, network segment,…) and a geographic context that require geomapping and location intelligence to be understood and make relevant decisions.